Requirements for long-term or temporary accommodation of elderly people

The homes for the elderly and the temporary care homes (for maximum two years) provide long-term placement for those who has reached retirement age, as well as people above the age of 18 who is incapable of self-care and whose nursing care need, due to their illness, cannot be satisfied any more in their own homes.

Kulcsszavak: home for the elderly, temporary care, moving into a social care facility, social care

Home for the elderly provides nursing and care for those who have reached retirement age and has certain needs for care. Persons above the age of 18 also can be admissioned who, due to their illness or disability, cannot take care for themselves and whose nursing care needs cannot be satisfied any more in their own homes.

Institutional services provided: residence, meals three times a day, mental health care service, individualized care, primary health care service, provision of clothes and textiles if needed. 

Temporary care home for the elderly provide comprehensive care to elderly people, and to persons over the age of 18 with an illness, who are temporarily unable to take care of themselves due to illness or another reason.

Those in need of care are entitled to stay for one year, which can be extended once up to two years.

Applicants must apply for care in writing or orally or, if they are under guardianship, the application must be submitted by their legal representative.

The head of the institution notifies applicants or their legal representatives of the decision taken. Refusals are notified in writing and legal remedies are available.

Applicants may be admitted after an assessment of their care needs.

The service provider concludes an agreement with the applicant before the provision of care. The agreement stipulates: 

The use of residential care homes is voluntary.

(The documents to be attached are available in Annex No 1 of Decree 9/1999 (XI. 24.) SZCSM of the Minister of Social and Family Affairs on access to social assistance including personal care.)

The cost of the provision of care must be paid for either by the person receiving care or the person responsible for that person’s maintenance. It may not exceed, in case of long-term care institutions, 80 % of the monthly income of the person receiving care, or 60 % for temporary care. Institutions may also request a one-off entry fee. The pecuniary assets and/or immovable property of the person receiving care may be taken into account for the purposes of determining the fee. The person’s immovable property may be mortgaged.

The head of an institution maintained by the state, a municipality, a church or of another non-state-funded institution.

It is possible to seek remedy from the administrative authority maintaining the institution against the negative decision of the head of the institution. In such cases, it is the administrative authority that takes a decision on the application for care. A request for a review of the decision of the administrative authority may be submitted to the court.

Even in the absence of a need for care, the spouse, partner, siblings and close relatives with a disability who have lived in the same household as the person receiving care for at least one year may also be admitted to a home for the elderly.

Some homes for the elderly provide care to elderly people even if they do not need care, if their financial situation allows it. In such homes, a market-based entry fee and care fee must be paid.

Have you found this information useful? Please tell us your opinion here.